bedtime has always been a struggle around here. a struggle for me, not necessarily my children. after a long, busy day, i am usually exhausted by bedtime and so it becomes a struggle for me to put the kids to bed. i become really selfish and cranky because i just want the kids to go to bed at the snap of my finger so i can get on with my "me time." this doesn't happen, of course, so i sometimes use an ugly tone or say ugly things that surprise my husband. he's always telling me that i spend more time being cranky than i would spend if i just got up and helped the kids to bed. easy for him to say since the kids don't generally want him to help with bed (probably because he has never tangled himself up with the whole bedtime routine...smart man).
anyway, for the most part, my daughter is the easiest to put to bed. she has always preferred to sleep in her own bed, by herself. i put her down and she falls asleep on her own. sometimes she might have a crying fit but it's not a daily thing. my son is the one i have most difficulty with. he's my lover-boy, he likes to snuggle and have his back scratched while he falls asleep. i usually end up crawling in bed next to him until he falls asleep and then i make my great escape. now that he's six and a big boy this all feels silly and i want my independence back. i have tried walking away but then he cries and cries and it breaks my heart. this has become a little more stressful for me lately because that thirty minutes makes a huge difference in my day and in my slumber.
well, i recently read a book called raising your spirited child by mary sheedy kurcinka and it has changed my life. not only did i discover that my daughter is not spirited (she's spunky) but i discovered that we all have some of the temperaments discussed in the book. like i found out that my son and i are clearly introverts and that spending time with other people exerts all of our energy. we need time alone to process our day and to calm down. in her book, mary recommends working toward a "yes". kids hear "no" all day long and, as you can imagine, after hearing "no" after "no" you shut down and you stop caring. she also discusses bed time and how it's different for everyone depending on their temperament. she shares my husbands thought,"is it worth spending five extra minutes on something if it will give you several extra hours of bliss?" it has taken me a long time to realize the answer but now that i have found it, i am in a state of nirvana.
i used to stagger bedtime. my daughter went to bed at seven-thirty and my son went to bed at eight. this was mostly due to the fact that they share a bedroom. they now go to bed at the same time. pj's and teeth brushing starts at seven, then thirty minutes of reading and lights out no later than seven forty-five. they are both in their own beds and i am on the rug in the middle of the room. that rug has become my sanctuary. i use my head lamp to read and/or do yoga and meditation. it works out for everyone. my kids are comforted by my presence and i have thirty minutes of total relaxation. by the time i'm done, i am ready for bed. before, i used to struggle to find the time to relax and meditate. when my bedtime routine ended around nine, i still needed "me time" so i would end up staying up until eleven or twelve and then i would be so tired and so cranky at wake-up time. bedtime is now a joyful time and i am so thankful...and so much happier.
Ahh, the bedtime drama. I could write tomes, and probably should've considered rehab after all the wine it took me to get through that dark, dark period in my life.
ReplyDeleteFor the record, I tried ALL the techniques. We tried co-sleeping, aka No One Sleeping. We tried laying next to the kids until they fell asleep, which promptly became a game of them pretending to be asleep and hunting us down like we were deer in hunting season. We tried the Silent Return where you silently return them to bed each time with no eye contact. We tried that 124 times...in one night. I did the yoga/play solitaire on my computer next to the door inside the room and then sneaking out like a thief in the night. I ignored the constant getting up, until it led to the kids climbing over the gate at the top of the stairs and visions of great falls and broken necks haunted me.
Finally...FINALLY...I gave up!!! I did the unthinkable: Cry It Out. Super unthinkable with adopted kids. But it had to be done, and I will tell you it was the single best parenting decision I have ever made. It hurt. I drank. But after 3 days, they stopped crying and actually went to sleep. We made sure to do plenty of snuggling in the hour before sleep--watching a show together, reading a book, talking about the day. But when it was over, it was over and away I went. I assuaged my guilt by making 4:00-7:00 Sacred Family Time. We try not to take phone calls, check email, watch TV, nothing in that time. 7:00-8:00 is the show, bedtime, book routine. 8:00 is Adult Party Time.
I only tell you all that to say I have soooo been there and it sooooo sucks, and I am glad you have found a solution (maybe even a little jealous that it was such a nice compromise), but should that fail, DO NOT FEEL BAD letting them cry. And know that they will stop. They will. I swear.
Until then, find a vice. Ha!
OMG...you've been posting. I have so much to catch up. I'm sooooo glad that you are back- my blogging sista!
ReplyDelete